It was a shortened work week thanks to something called “Family Day,” which is a holiday giving another day to spend with the family. I spent it going through another 4 chapters. Sadly, since last Monday I haven’t had a chance to go back to the lessons. Work has been especially busy, so I have put my studies on hold.
Coincidentally enough, the work I finished was learning how to save the contents of my application, so that I could retrieve the list at a later time. Fitting.
I had a lot of trouble getting the saving feature to work properly. Further, I opted to continue with the book’s main contents and ignore the challenges. I don’t think this was a good idea, because the challenges are the time where you put into practice what you’ve learned, and you’re working without a guide. A lot of programming expereince is gained in doing, as I’ve learned, and I decided to ignore that priniciple in an effort to make it through more of the content.
The benefit is that the state of the application now, in theory/simulator, is nearly complete, and is finally something I can “show” as what I intend to do. Just being able to walk someone through the application in person does a lot to get them excited about the possibilities. In addition, I’ve already figured out another app I’d like to make that leverages the basics of this application again.
Now I just need to get back to building.
What I learned Technically this week:
As I mentioned, there was the saving and editing for later that I used, but I also used the picture feature. For some reason, the application works perfectly in the simulator, but crashes all the time on the device. I’m going to have to go back and compare the code, but it is a little disappointing.
Another feature that was exciting to learn was customized customized table cell views. I’ve been planning how to present certain information from the cell, and I’m finally seeing it. I’ve just got to figure out how I want to design it.
I found a really good Application Technical Design Document that appears to be from a project by a student group working on an iGraduate app. It is an excellent template for putting together the plan for my app. I’m going to compare it to a few others, but I feel this is the best plan, without going overboard on documentation. The additional comments from Bytesize Adventures’ “App Development The Design Document” round out what I think is a useful design document. It helps that I produce something for Thursday.
It’s going to be a busy week!